16 Barrett Rise
Malvern, Worcs, WR14 2UJ
Phone: 01684 561378 ~ Sam & Eleanor Simmons
What we do
is produce and distribute a printed folk magazine
, in which you can advertise, and/or you can join us as a Member and send in your Members' news & listings (word limits apply).
Membership is £18 a year, for FQ by post, quarterly, plus your news & listings are welcome (word limits apply).More on Membership, and advertising information, below.
- FQ publishes folk news & listings (from Members only), plus articles on folklife traditions (open to all).
- Members can publicise their CDs etc - please do not send CDs for review to the editors.
- FQ is a print magazine - we do not offer a forwarding service for emails, social media, etc
(1) Membership info
(2) advertising info; OR download PDF (= FQ, p.3, a printed "info page")
⇒ Do Join Us ! Your Membership Benefits
⇒ Your Membership Benefits ~
FQ by post
Free Editorial / Publicity, in print + online
- Festivals, Venues, Performers, Media, Services, Organisations, etc
- News & Reports,
- Listings: in this Directory, with summary in FQ
- Festival Diary, Workshop Diary
No form needed
- BACS: Folklife, sort code 09-01-55, account 1867518
- Or send a cheque: 16 Barrett Rise, Malvern WR14 2UJ
- Please email your name, address, phone
- if not on email, in CAPITALS please for name/address
- Details for our use when posting - not shared with anyone else
- Email form above
Posted : 1 year to 1 address £18
- 4 issues per year
- x1= £18, x2=£20, x3=£21.50, x4=£23, x5 = £25
Reselling 6 or more = less than 1/2 price !
- post-free 6 or more
by Clubs/Venues, Performers, Shops, and you
- Buy @ £1.10, sell @ £2.50 .. minimum 6 copies
- x6 = £6.60 per quarter, or £26.40 a year,
- x7 = £7.70 per quarter, or £30.80 a year … etc
⇒ Word limits / Editorial
➊ Members' News up to 200 words, for each news item;
Your Reports, Dates, Festival Info, CD Info.
- more if advertising -- 1/16 250 words; 1/8 275; 1/4 300; 1/2 350; A4 450
- Reviews: only as sent in by our Members, so please don’t send CDs to editors
- don’t count: heading [name/venue/start time], nor at end contact details
- Photos: B&W high-res (300 dpi) welcome
- X not low-res photos eg copied from web X
- Word limits are for 1 item, you can send in more than 1, eg 2 CDs count as 2 items.
- Festival & Workshops Diaries: same word limits for “More Details” section.
- § Correspondents: usually 350 to 800 words; may vary, depends on local circulation/adverts
➋ Folklife Traditions
Articles & news ~ word limits by arrangement.
Send News as plain email, or as RTF, or as Word **
** Using Word.doc/.docx ?
Using 'Word' Footnotes and Endnotes ~
⇒ Your Adverts in FQ
- stand out ………………… as advertising limited to just 1/4 of FQ!
- value for money! … as your adverts will be shown for 3 months!
- and copied online (details on this site)
- and copied to our ads-only printed Folk What’s On, distributed free to TICs, libraries, & large general venues that include folk programming
Ads : Costs (no VAT charged)
££ shown at ‘Invoiced’ prices - but £4 less if prepaid !
- A4: £222 colour / £84 mono
- Full edge-to-edge, and Front Cover @ 5/6th A4 … as A4 colour
- 1/2: £133 colour / £48 mono
- 1/4 [A6]: £75 colour / £28 mono
- 1/8: £46 colour / £18 mono
- 1/16: £30 colour / £12 mono (so just £8 prepaid)
Book space by emailing your Purchase Order Nº.
- Invoiced terms = 30 Days from invoice date.
- Invoices (and receipts) are emailed.
- Discounts: x2 issues, 5%. x3, 10%. x4, 15%.
- Further ads will not be accepted if money is owing from last time !
Colour ads: only on covers/inside covers, or exceptionally on colour insert page
- You can book A4 colour position: prepaid, on 1st come, 1st served, basis
You can deduct £4 from below if prepaid = you pay by deadline, so we don’t have to invoice (we'll email a receipt)
- Members: mono ads placed as near as possible to your news or Diary entry
- Page preference-order to biggest (1st A4; 2nd 1/2; and so on)
Ads : Sizes (A4)
Ads : Sizes (A4)
Colour or mono
- Front Cover: up to 5/6ths A4 max w 210, max h 250, +3 mm bleed
- Edge-to-edge: max w 210, max h 297, +3 mm bleed
- A4: max w 188, max h 275
- 1/2 across: max w 188, max h 132
- 1/2 column: max w 92, max h 268
- 1/4 [A6]: max w 92, max h 132
- 1/8: max w 92, max h 64
- 1/16: max w 44, max h 64
Other: any combination of 1/16 boxes (4mm between boxes).
Sizes include optional border
Ads must be emailed (image or text)
- camera-ready ~ attach your tiff, jpeg, PDF - we can stretch to fit
- or email text: just email us the words; you can also attach 1 logo to be included; we will typeset, free, in our choice of typeface (as we regularly do for smaller clubs)
- complex adverts may appear differently, so please ask a professional designer to design & send them
√ We use: Mac OS 10.7.5, Adobe InDesign CS 6.
√ Colour ads: you are advised to send us a printout so we can check colours.
√ If B&W: pl convert colour to greyscale, & check that before sending.
√ PDF as High-definition 300dpi, text 600 dpi, fonts embedded; if B&W ad, send only as greyscale.
√ Tiff, √ Jpeg. But forWord, please see note below.
Note for your display adverts:
a Word “.doc” is not an image, so can't be used directly
- You can "Save" Word as a PDF - but design with a good margin or top or bottom may go missing
- GO TO⇒ "Print"
- Then GO TO⇒ "Save As PDF"
- before sending, check that nothing missing at the margin - we can't alter PDFs if we find a line missing